Updated: Jun 2, 2020
Broccoli sprouts have a ton of health benefits and are super easy to grow at home!
They are small but powerful! All cruciferous vegetables contain glucosinolates (a natural chemical in plants that most likely contributes to the plants defence against pests and diseases). Broccoli sprouts have a very high amount of glucosinolates (about 10 to 100x more) compared to other cruciferous vegetables.
Broccoli sprouts are one of the best sources of sulforaphane, a very potent type of glucosinolates. Studies show that sulforaphane can help prevent the DNA damage that leads to cancer.
Broccoli sprouts can decreased risk for chronic diseases, such as cardiovascular disease. They are also brain boosting, reduce inflammation, and anti-aging.
Want to incorporate broccoli spouts into your diet?
Grow your own broccoli sprouts at home with these easy steps!
1) Add 2 TBSP. of broccoli sprouting seeds to a widemouthed sterilized jar with a breathable lid.
2) Fill the jar 1/3 the way with filtered water, push down any seeds that begin to float to the top.
3) Store in a warm, dark place overnight.
4) The next morning, drain, and rinse with fresh water.
5) Continue to rinse the sprouts 2x times per day.
6) Once the sprouts are 1 inch or so in length and have yellow leaves, move the sprouts
7) Continue to rinse them 2x times per day, until the leaves turn green.
8) This whole process will take about 4-6 days.
9) Enjoy your home grown sprouts!
*Eat your sprouts raw to insure that you are getting all the nutritional benefits.
Check out this smoothie recipe to learn how to include broccoli sprouts into your daily routine!
Desire Fitness creates custom nutrition programs and work outs for clients. Email or direct message for more information.